Saturday 16 August 2008

Ping, but no pong



I spent the day yesterday at the Table Tennis venue, as I managed to get one of the five 'upgrade' passes to see other events. This is a sport that I used to play, badly of course, and as the Chinese think they can play it I thought I would take a look. I can tell you now, they CAN play it! The day started with the ladies team matches to decide who would go through to the bronze medal match. That was pretty impressive, with the Japanese upsetting Hong Kong and Korea sauntering past USA. If that had been all of the play for the day then I would have been a happy man, but then they announced the Mens Semi-Finals were to be played too. So after a bit of lunch I sat down to be stunned by the sport and the atmosphere surrounding it. This is a good sport! Just before the China v Korea semi, Bill Gates arrived. So I let him sit just behind me in the hope that the glare from my shaven bonce wouldn't ruin his enjoyment, and I took out my iPhone at every opportunity.


Today I am back to work, on New Zealand against China with Murray Grime from Australia, which should be fast and noisy. China were excellent against Holland, and NZ have been performing very well too, so should be fun.

2 comments:

Toni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Toni said...

Hi Andy, sounds like your having a fantastic time. Can't believe Great Britain are 3rd in medal table!. Weather looks a bit Scottish, very wet. Watched women GB hockey yesterday they did well although haven't seen any of the men's games. Cycling has been very good watched Chris Hoy win his gold. can't wait for 2012. see you soon Toni and Rob